You have the power to make health happen in your community. Check out the many different ways you can make a difference.
Make Health Happen Here
- Raise awareness about where health happens. Like Health Happens Here on Facebook or share the Health Happens Here animated video.
Watch and Like
- ¡Sí se puede! Get engaged in your community: Become a volunteer or an organizer, donate to a cause or participate in local organizations.
Find a partner
- Let your voice be heard. Vote! And encourage friends and family to vote, too.
Register to vote
- Invest in the California FreshWorks Fund (for as little as $20). Companies, community organizations, and individuals can help bring grocery stores to neighborhoods.
- Ask your local councilmember and city or county department of transportation for lighting in your neighborhood parks.
Find my local rep
- Ride your bike to work or school.
- Get a check-up. Under the new health care law your annual wellness visit to your doctor is free with your health care plan.
- Small business owners can take advantage of the small business health care tax credit to help provide health coverage to your employees.
- Encourage your policymakers to remove subsidies for junk drinks, like sugary-soda, in the CalFresh (food stamp) program.
- Write a restaurant review about the nutritional quality of your school lunch or your child’s school lunch and post it on Yelp, Facebook or Patch.com.
Give it a shot
- Attend a Wellness Council meeting at your local school, and if your school doesn’t have a Wellness Council—ask why not.
- Advocate your district’s school board for common-sense school discipline instead of suspending and expelling kids.